Sunday, September 20, 2015

shaking my head

A local quilt shop is having a class for coiled fabric baskets- you know, you wrap fabric over a cotton rope and sew it in a coil, pretty and simple- and charging $25.00 for the class!!!  Ok, maybe those ladies go because it's recreational and social and they don't really care about what the class is.  Maybe none of them are drinkers, they'd never go to the bar for drinks (in my book a much better exchange for money).  But good grief!!!

A lot of things about crafting and especially quilting pisses me off.  I called out someone on their facebook page once about their quilt kit.  The quilt was being sold by the month with the fabric etc already in there, pre cut and color coded.  The person just had to get it out of the bag and put a 1/4 inch seam in it and they'd end up with exactly the same quilt as on the picture, a kind of paint by the numbers quilt.  If that isn't bad enough, the COST of the quilt was about 4x what you'd spend if you paid full retail for quality fabric etc.  I am just horrified by the whole deal, the lack of individual input, the price gouging.  The kit maker assured me lots of people liked the kits.  Sigh.

I know I'm cheap, but how can there be so many people happy to over spend on "crafty" CRAP, and so many willing to sell it to them?


No comments:

Post a Comment